Friday, September 20, 2013

Postcard Contest 1: Santiago

I arrived in Santiago yesterday afternoon following a reverse of my Paso Los Libertadores trip two weeks ago, once again chasing snow.

To celebrate over 1000 blog views (wow!!) and get people to start leaving comments on the blog, I'm going to run a series of contests where I ask geography, regional culture, trivia, etc. questions. The prize for the first person to answer correctly will be a postcard from wherever I'm at.

So, without further ado, Question Number Uno!

When I arrived yesterday in Santiago, nearly all of the stores and many restaurants were closed, making it very difficult to feed myself. Why?

View from the hostel I stayed at in Santiago

Another view from the hostel,
this time playing around with spiffy new HDR software.
Like it?

Again, first person to leave a comment here (not in your head, not in Facebook, not by email, here in the comments section, those be the rules) with the correct answer gets a postcard! You do have to leave your name so I know how to contact you and get your address. Let the fun begin!

Disclaimer: I can only send you a postcard if I am able to get your mailing address. I will announce winners when I have internet access, which may be as long as a week after the contest is announced, so be patient! Also, I make no promises as to when I will send the postcard. As of yet--almost 3 weeks into my trip--I have yet to see any places even selling postcards. But, at some point, I will send it, pinky swear.

10 comments:

  1. Was it because of Fiestas Patrias?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winner!! Postcard coming your way just as soon as I can find a place that sells them...

      Delete
  2. They were all scared of Carie being in town? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't give them any warning. It was a surprise attack.

      Delete
  3. You landed in a food desert very late in the evening when most stores are closed :-( with Argentine peso, instead of Chilean Peso! Carieee!!!
    Unfortunately, they also did not have 24 hour Taco Bells and McD's! And you filed a petition :-) Enjoy the trip Carie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, brilliant planning on my part, for sure. Thanks Prithvi!

      Delete
  4. because your underwear was melted, forcing you to wear dirty underwear & smell a little "funny" so they all closed up show :) xoxox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely am smelling pretty ripe. I desperately need to find a laundromat and get myself some more underwear... ;-)

      Delete
  5. Because it is Chilean Stromatolite Independence Day, of course!

    ReplyDelete